If you’re in the job hunting game but have been taking a laissez-faire approach and delaying the inevitable, it might be time to re-group and take a more structured approach to your search. Here’s five tips to get you back on track.
- Know yourself – understand your skills, strengths and achievements that can be applied to your next job. Having a good self-awareness can assist you to make better career choices and market yourself well.
- Know what you want – reflect on the type of workplace where you’d feel motivated – this can include size or location of the organisation, it’s vision and values and the physicality of the work. Write down jobs you can do and want to do.
- Know where to find the work – write a list of organisations you would like to work for and match your criteria in terms of your skills and a motivating workplace.
- Who do you know? – compile a list of people who are linked to the places you want to work at and spark up a discussion with them. Send them a message and invite them for a coffee.
- Check your resume – for spelling, grammar and layout. Make sure it highlights your skills and experience for the job you want.
Put yourself out there by tapping into your networks and checking the online job search sites, local papers and company websites. Before too long you’ll soon uncover awesome job opportunities. Get in touch with Gen for a confidential career discussion today!